The Zanzibar Petroleum Regulatory Authority (ZPRA) was established under section 7 of the Oil and Gas (Upstream) Act No.6 of 2016 for the purpose of regulating the Upstream Oil and Gas activities and to comply with the Zanzibar Oil and Gas Policy of 2016 and its respective legislations. Also, the Act requires the establishment of the Board of Directors of ZPRA in accordance with Section 12(1) of the Oil and Gas (Upstream) Regulatory Authority, which shall be the overall governing body composed of not more than seven members of high moral character, proven integrity and competence in their respective fields.
The Board of Directors of ZPRA containing the following members:
- Chairperson who shall be appointed by the President in accordance with the provisions of this Act;
- The Managing Director of Authority as ex-officio member;
- One Senior officer from Ministry responsible for environment;
- One Senior State Attorney from Attorney General’s Chambers recommended by the Attorney General;
- One Senior officer from the Ministry responsible for petroleum;
- One Senior officer from the Ministry of Finance;
- One Senior officer from Ministry responsible for Occupational Health and Safety; and
- One member from private sector with experience on petroleum upstream matters.
The functions of the Board are as follows:
- Oversee the operations of the Authority;
- Advice the Minister on petroleum policy and strategic issues related thereto,
- Review and approve business and operation plan, budgets